Monday, September 5, 2011

Treating Damaged Hair! The easy way.

So, as promised, here is a little post on how to treat damaged hair. For me, I've done so much to my hair chemically and from the heated products I use like a flat iron and hair dyer. After I got my perm done recently, my roots were completely fried. It was terrible. I would not stop touching my hair because it felt so singed and rough. I also had my hair dyed a couple years ago and the chemicals damaged my hair AND my scalp. It was so embarrassing. My scalp was scabbing and peeling and it hurt to touch it. So, I'm very familiar with hair damage. But I've also learned how to overcome it! Muahaha...take that stupid chemicals. Hopefully, you all will find it helpful and beneficial!So let's start with the causes of damaged hair!
Cause #1: Chemicals
Harsh chemicals break down protein bonds in our hair. Those protein bonds are what makes our hair beautiful and strong. Harsh chemicals include: perms, bleaches, hair dyed, relaxers, and straighteners.

Cause #2: Heat
If you have chemically treated hair, the sun can do damaged to your hair. Ultra-violet rays can also weaken protein bonds. Other heat causes such as a flat iron or a curling iron crack the hair's cuticle and takes out the moisture. When you use an iron or a blow dyer, try to use lower temperature settings, that way your hair isn't going through too much heat.

Cause #3: Friction
When we sleep or brush our hair too much, our hair is being rubbed against another surface. This causes friction which breaks our hair. Be sure to use an appropriate comb to avoid friction.

Cause #4: Health
Pollution, stress, poor circulation, poor water intake, and poor diet all affect our hair. If we don't provide our bodies with the proper nutrients and vitamins, our hair won't benefit either. We need to remain healthy overall in order to have healthy hair!

Now that we know the causes...we need a solution! As you all know, I prefer home remedies. They're easy to make and fun to use. Although...some may be a little smelly. Here are some home remedies that are simple and how they benefit our hair.
Remedy #1: Avocado and Mayonnaise
Avocado replenishes our hair with essential fatty acids and vitamin E while mayonnaise is used to condition the hair and bring back that shine. For this remedy all you need is 1/2 of a riped mashed avocado and 1 to 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise, depending on the length of your hair. You can wrap your hair with ceramwrap if you'd like. Leave it in for 30 minutes to an hour and rinse thoroughly.

Remedy#2: Lime and Honey
Honey is wonderful. It smells great and it'll moisturize and cleanse your hair like no other. It also adds volume, which is a definite plus! Lime is great if your have oily and greasy hair. I tend to have oily hair an hour after I wake up before a shower and when it gets hot. All you need is 1 lime, squeeze the juice into a bowl, and 5 spoons of honey. Blend well and apply to your scalp and hair shaft. Rinse after leaving it in for an hour.

Remedy #3: Egg Yolk, Honey, and Olive Oil
Egg yolks are amazing for the hair. They have vitamins A, D, E and B which improve our hair's appearance. They also proteins and fatty acids that give our hair a shine. Olive oil will improve the strength, condition, and nourish our hair. It also helps prevent hair loss! This recipe is simple: mix 1 egg yolk, 1 spoon of honey, and 3 spoons of olive oil. Apply to your hair and wash after 30 minutes.

Last, but not least...

Remedy #4: Yogurt
Every website I visit mentions a yogurt recipe. I knew yogurt was healthy for your skin, but I didn't think it would be just as beneficial for your hair. Yogurt promotes hair growth and can prevent frizziness. The best way to get these results is to just put half a cup of yogurt (natural and plain) and put it in a blander until it forms a smoothe paste. Then just rub in your hair, leave it in for 15-30 minutes and then rinse. So simple.

Well ladies! That's what I got for you today. There are actual hair products that target damaged hair and even specfically damaged hair, but I like to promote simplicity and easy things...hopefully, you will get wonderful results! I'd love to hear about your experiences with these recipes and other recipes. I hope you all have a wonderful Labor Day! Be safe and take care!
Thanks for reading~! <3
With love,
Taylor Rae

2 comments:

  1. i need to try this :) my hair could def need some extra shine and strength :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. For remedy 2, the lime and honey one, I´m not sure what you mean by "scalp and hair shaft?" does that mean just the base of your hair or all of your hair.... =.= I want my hair to get some volume (and my stupid bangs to stop getting greasy).

    ReplyDelete