Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Seasonal Skin Benefits! Pumpkin season!

Hey ladies, it's fall finally! And soon it'll be halloween. I think the one of the things I love most about fall is carving pumpkins. It wasn't until recently that I wondered...are pumpkins beneficial to our health and skin? Turns out, they are. I am so excited to try some pumpkin inspired facial masks~!! I love pumpkin tasting anything! Anyways...let's move on....
So like most fruits and veggies, pumpkins are rich in nutrients and anitoxidants which give your skin a natural healthy glow. Basically, the seeds, the insides, and even the skin of the pumpkin are packed with everything your skin needs this season.
One of the things I found most interesting were the vitamins in pumpkins:
Vitamin A - Vitamin A helps soothes and softens our skin which can be hard during the cold season.
Vitamin C - Vitamin C is an antioxidant that protects our skin from sun damage and free radicals.
Vitamins E and T - These vitamins are considered the pumpkin's acne fighting vitamins. They reduce inflammation, reduce pore size, control excess oil (perfect for me...), and above all prevent the appearance of pimples, blackheads, and blemishes.
Now for me, I have to exfoliate every morning. It's hard to keep up with it, but I manage. Pumpkins carry a natural enzyme that helps dissolve dead skin cells and promote growth for new skin sells. Also, these natural enzymes are perfect for your feet and hands since we can get cracks easily during the dry, cold season.
Now, pumpkin seeds are also good too! Every part of a pumpkin is beneficial~! The seeds' oil contains fatty acids of omega-3 and are good sources of zinc and iron. How do zinc and iron help your skin? Well...
Zinc is a neccessary mineral in our body. It has to be taken in smaller quantities than iron, but if you're short on zinc, then your body has all the tall-tale signs: red, greasy skin; poor hair growth; dandruff; brittle nails; and even...a craving for chocolate (oh my gosh...). So, if you need some more zinc in your body, carve out a pumpkin and roast the seeds! They are so yummy.
Iron can help prevent fatigue and also promote good skin tones. It can help with resistance to stress which can benefit our entire body!

So, since we have all the important information out of the way~I want to share with you some pumpkin facial recipes!

Recipe #1: Papaya Pumpkin Mask
2/3 cup fresh papaya, mashed
15 oz. can of puree pumpkin
1 egg, beaten
This mask is supposed to be applied after you cleanse your face. Apply the mask avoiding the eye areas. This mask works like a scrub and will exfoliate your skin, so be a little gentle when massaging the mask onto your skin. Leave the mask on for about 10 minutes, then rinse. I will say though, the mask is fairly thick so you may want to rinse in a kitchen sink! After words, your skin should have a glow and feel fresh~!

Recipe #2: Vanilla Pumpkin Mask
1/2 cup pureed organic pumpkin
1 to 2 drops of vanilla or vanilla essential oil
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
They say you can add honey or natural yogurt to this recipe if you like! So mix the ingredients and apply a thin layer on your face avoiding the eye areas. Leave the mask on for about 10 minutes, then wash off with a face cloth. Your skin should look beautiful and feel soft!

Alright ladies, that's all I have for today. But, just an update...I am getting my hair dyed today!! I am so excited. I can't wait. Also, I got my loan for $9000 approved! Which means, NEW CAR! So today when my dad comes home from work, we will be going car shopping. Things are really starting to look up. Ahhh, maybe I will post again tonight? Haha anyways, I hope you guys enjoyed this post and hopefully you will try out this awesome seasonal mask! Let me know how the masks work for you or if you found other recipes!
Thanks for reading~! <3
With love,
Taylor Rae

No comments:

Post a Comment