Tuesday, November 22, 2011

How to Treat Chapped Lips!

Hey ladies. The worst thing about the cold season for me is chapped lips. I have always struggled with my lips especially during winter because my lips always dry out and chap up. It gets frustrating. It's gotten to the point where I am bugging my customers at work about which chapstick they find useful. Right now, I'm using TWO Blistex products. I also have a history of licking my lips because of how dry my lips get. It's gotten so bad now that I am using two products at the same time and it's still doing nothing. So, I'm taking a stand! I'm gonna figure out why my lips suck and how to take better care of them. I hope you guys find this useful!!! Let's get started...
So like I always say, the best way to find a solution is to find the problem and the reasons why FIRST. So how do our lips dry out and become chapped? Well, there are a number of reasons.

LICKING: I mentioned this above, but licking your lips can do serious damage just like washing your skin constantly. When you expose your lips to constant water, you're robbing your lips of the moisture they already contain. So ultimately, licking your lips will dry them out. This is a terrible habit of mine. When I do something that requires concentration, I tend to lick my lips a lot more and before I eat. It's a terrible habit, so I definitely need to work on that...just a bit.

THE SUN: Of course, the sun is always the worst. We need it, yet it can cause damage to our skin and lips if not protected. Our lips lack pigment/melonin which helps protect our skin from ultraviolet rays from the sun. So, try and choose lip balms that feature SPF protection.

TOOTHPASTE: I don't know many people allergic to certain types of toothpaste, but maybe this could be the reason why your lips are red and rough. You may want to rinse more thoroughly after brushing, or even just try different toothpastes until you see a difference!

FOOD: You may be allergic to foods touching your lips. It sounds terrible. But, if you have a food allergy, be sure to NOT eat it. Also, if you already have dried, chapped lips...be careful about what you eat. Acidic food/drinks, salty food, spicy food/condements, and even alcoholic drinks can irritate the skin on your lips and make the problem worse. I know that I can't eat popcorn often because it burns my lips and also lemons will hurt significantly if my lips are peeling. It sucks, but you gotta do what's best!

DEHYDRATION: If your body doesn't have the proper hydration it needs, it shows on your lips. Try drinking more water. Also, try lip balms or lipsticks that moisturize. The dry air indoors and out can cause dehydration for our skin and lips!

BREATHING: I tend to breath through my mouth rather than my nose because I have sinus problems and my nose can be stuffed for days. I've become rather accustomed to it and now I feel like I need to constantly. Although sometimes it's necessary, breathing through your mouth instead of your nose can cause our lips to dry and become chapped also.

There are more reasons such as syndromes, allergies, and what not, but these are probably the most common! So, now that we know why we get chapped lips...why not take care of them?
Here are some ways to help treat chapped lips! Some are natural and some can be bought in stores!

LIP BALMS: Use lip balms that have moisture and SPF protection. I know lots of people use regular peteroleum jelly. Ingredients that may help are shea butter and hyaluronic acid. I would highly suggest using organic lip balms and stay away from flavored lip balms.

LIPSTICKS: Yep! Turns out one of our favorite makeup items is actually beneficial. A lot of lipsticks have moisturizing ingredients along with SPF protection. So, not only can your lipstick make your entire look, it can also help chapped lips.

HOME REMEDIES: As you all know, I love DIY home remedies. They are fun to make and apply and it's all organic and natural. One of the most simple remedies I've ever seen is for chapped lips and that is to cut slices of cucumber...and then rub it on your lips to soothe irritation and retain moisture. Also, honey is an amazing moisturizer and helps heal. So just rub some honey on your lips! Try not to lick it though!!! You can also buff your lips with a tooth brush and some vaseline. And last but not least, olive oil. Olive oil is great moisturizer for your lips and hair. Just rub some on your lips and that is all!

Products I'm Interested In...
So, I would not leave you ladies without sharing products I'm interested in. I personally do not like Blistex products. I have tried so many in hopes that they would work, but for me they don't. So, here are some products that have amazing reviews and would reccomend for myself and you all.
EOS Smooth Sphere Lip Balm
A girl I work with was using this and she said she liked it. I've read tons of reviews and 95% were positive. They are cute and relatively reasonably priced. I believe you can find it was walgreens and CVS.
NIVEA Milk & Honey Lip Balm
Everywhere I look, someone is talking about Nivea lip products. I suggest the milk and honey, because...well milk and honey are very good for your lips. They have a wide range of other lip balms that have SPF and moisturizing properties!
HURRAW! Green Tea Lip Balm
I honestly just saw this today on AprilAthena7's blog and I was immediately interested just because it said "green tea". You all know I love green tea products. It's all organic and looks very moisturizing. I may get this for Christmas? Haha, maybe maybe.

Anyways ladies, I hope you enjoyed this post! :) I hope you have a wonderful thankgiving!! Expect a little gift from me then!! Have a blessed week and stay safe!
Thanks for reading~! <3
With love,
Taylor Rae



2 comments:

  1. Wow~ I never knew toothpaste could be a reason. @~@
    Thank you for the informative post! C:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! o_o I was surprised, but it does kind of make sense!
    I'm glad this post was helpful! :)

    ReplyDelete