Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Tips on How to Maintain Dyed Hair

Woo! 2nd Post on the Week! I'm on a roll~! Oh gosh, I'm terrible. So, today I became inspired to write about dying your hair after someone commented on how natural my hair looks after being bleached and dyed all crazy colors of the rainbow. Nowadays, I try to stick to natural colors, specifically browns. However, when I dyed my hair I really didn't think about what I needed to do before I got the treatment, so I want to encourage you guys to really take care of hair even when getting it dyed. This may not be such a long post, but hopefully it will help! So, LET'S START.


You want to have healthy hair before dying it, so deep condition your hair a couple days before the treatment. This will give the natural oils in your hair and scalp to resurface and protect your scalp from chemical reactions and it'll give you better and more consistant results.

You may want to go ahead and get a quick trim before hand. Split ends tend to be brittle and dry. This will effect the color seeing as split ends cannot hold color like that of healthier hair.

If you have long hair, you may have to watch how you apply the hair dye. The ends of longer hair tend to be more porous then the rest of the hair shaft. Therefore you should apply the dye onto the mid-lengths of the hair and work your way up and down.

It is suggested that you look for hypoallergenic and conditioning dyes (yes, they do exist). These dyes are more gentle on the scalp and hair and you want your hair to maintain as much health as possible after the treatment.

I personally suggest using a hydrating hair mask at least twice a week after the treatment. Dying your hair will chemically strip it of it's moisture and that affects the hair's appearance. So, you want to give it moisture as often as possible through your shampoos and conditioners along with hair masks. For me I use two different hair masks:
Paul Mitchell moisture Daily Treatment - $10
I use this...a lot. My hair stylist gave this to me for free and I love the results I get from it. My hair has completely benefitted from this product because it makes your hair look healthy while adding moisture and volume. My hair afterwords is super soft and looks amazing after blow-drying. It is a tad bit expensive but a little goes a long way. So, it will last.
KAO Essential Ultra Honey & Shea Butter Hair Mask - $8.60
I've talked about this product so many times, but it is just THAT good. I don't use this quite as often because I can't get it quite so easily. Every time I do use this product, my hair smells so good...and I end up sniffing my hair all day. The smell is wonderful, but the overall end result is even better. My hair feels rejuvinated and soft and fluffy and...just amazing. I don't need to blow-dry, because it makes my perm even more bouncy and full. It's very moisturizing and I highly reccomend it for the great price.

After dying your hair, you may want to minimize the use of heated hair styling tools. Dying your hair already removes a lot of the moisture from your hair; heated tools just add to the removal process. I have a huge problem with this because I feel a need to straighten my bangs every day. Unfortunately, this will cause your hair to become frizzy and even more damaged. Try to lessen how many days a week you use heated tools or at least use a heat protectant spray beforehand.

If you want something with less chemicals, choose a semi-permanent hair dye. These are healthier for your hair and it's safer. Permanent hair dyes have more chemicals that are stronger so they can maintain the color longer.

Condition EVERY time you shampoo. This is what I live by. Conditioner can replenish some of the moisture lost in the dying process plus it protects your hair from the outside elements that could fade the color our may cause some sort of damage.

Well there you have it! These are my tips for maintaining dyed hair. I hope this has been helpful and if you have any tips, feel free to comment and share below!
Take care everyone and have a wonderful week!!
Thanks for reading~! <3
With love,
Taylor Rae



No comments:

Post a Comment