Monday, January 23, 2012

How To Take Proper Care of Your Nails

Hello! I'm back! It's a tad late, but I am trying to stay up to say goodnight to the boyfriend once he gets off work...so why not write a post while I'm waiting. So, let me just catch you all up on what's happened personally and then we'll move on. SO. The trip to Israel is getting closer and closer and now it's down to 99 days. So, once it hits 30 days, I'mma be on trip preperation overload. Also, this weekend has been both amazing and terrible. The amazing part is...Anthony bought me "Tangled" after suffering through multiple showings. The terrible part is I am in terrible pain. I've been getting this extremely painful headache and migraine at work and now at home. I don't know what it is or where it came from, but I'm trying to not let it affect me. Especially when it comes to my blogging. :) Anyways...Why don't we get started...
I think this is a topic that many women and even men could take notes on. Even for myself, I find this so helpful. So before we learn to take care of our nails, we need to know what our nails are made of. Our nails are made keratine, which is what our hair and even the top layer of our skin is made of. Keratine is a type of tough protein that is meant to protect the soft tissues of our finger tips from injuries and enhancing the sensitivity of the finger tip.

So one part of taking care of your nails is to know when they are healthy or when they are in danger, for lack of better words.
Your nails can tell a lot about your health, but it's easy to tell whether or not you have healthy fingernails.
1. Smooth Fingernails - Run a finger across your nail. If it's smooth, your nails have a healthy formation. If they have ridges or any dents or pitting, they are probably unhealthy.
2. Clear or Flesh Color - Your nails are supposed to be clear or at least flesh colored with a white or off-white tip. Dark nail polishes may create discoloration, so don't be too alarmed. However, if it is a heavy discoloration, you may want to see a doctor as it may be signs to something bigger.
3. Straight Fingernails - Straight fingernails are healthy. They are forming correctly. If there is curling, then there may be a problem.
So, now that we've determined whether your nails are in healthy condition, we've got to take proper care of them to ensure they remain healthy and look amazing while we're at it too! This can range from your diet to what you actually do with your nails. So, what can we do to take better care of our nails?

A Healthier Diet
Your diet can effect your nails health. If your nails aren't healthy, maybe you need to add more protein-filled food into your diet since your nails are made of a protein. You always want to minimize your sugary foods intake, but try to minimize alcohol, calcium, and zinc level intakes. The protein will prevent any (or any more) damage from being done to your nails.

Moisturizing
Your nails can dry up a lot like your hair can. You need to make sure your nail beds are hydrated. To do this, you can increase your intake of water and fruit juices (I prefer cranberry and orange juice mixed together). Also, don't be afraid to use moisturizer on your cuticles to keep them healthy and it will prevent them from drying up.

Gloves
I learned this the hard way. I had to go to work at 4am to remove and replace labels. Well, I tried using my car keys to remove labels but that didn't work out too well. So I used my nails. And by the time I got off, my nail was broken and I have paper cuts underneath my nail. It was so painful. So, basically, all you have to do is wear gloves when you're doing household chores and the sort including gardening. If you use chemicals, it will take away the moisture, dry up and rip and peel your nails and cuticles. If you work with dirt and soil, it can get underneath your nail and cause an infection. Gloves should be your best friend when performing these tasks!

Vitamins
If you have certain deficienicies in Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and Calcium, this will affect your nail by causing it grow dry and brittle. So, if you have to or want to, you can take vitamin supplements to make sure you're getting the right amount to have correct forming nails.

And last, but not least...Maintenance
Buff It Out!
Buffering your nails with a fine abrasive wand will remove all the dead skin cells, therefore making your nails shinier. You can also use a nail file to maintain your nail's specific shape. It's easy and will make your nails look great without having to go to the nail salon.

Increased Circulation through Massage
When your fingers feel run down or strained, feel free to give your fingers and thorough massage. From tip to stub, just massage to get rid of any uncomfortable feeling. Also, rub your nail beds and cuticles to increase blood circulation and promote growth in your nails.

Base It!
Use a base coat or nail hardener before applying nail polish. This will prevent damage from the nail polish and may even prevent discoloration. It will also help lock in your nail's moisture.

Pamper Your Nails...
If you have the money, feel free to get regular manicures and pedicures to help maintain your nails. More than likely, your nail technician is going to be able to help you with more specific problems and even administer treatments that can protect your nails.

Alright everyone! What a long post...but hopefully it was helpful! Thank you all so much for spending time at TaylorRae.co! Every view means so much to me! I hope you all have a wonderful week. Remember to file for your income taxes! I'm getting mine in this week, and it's going straight to Israel! AMEN. Take care everyone & be blessed.
Thanks for reading~! <3
With love,
Taylor Rae

No comments:

Post a Comment