Tuesday, June 12, 2012

10 More Common Beauty Myths!

I am back. After a brief hiatus due to a family emergency, I am back with a health and beauty post! Oh how I have missed you all. BUT I do have big news for you all...later this year. I am so excited, but I want to make sure everything happens before I get too ahead of myself, you know? So anyways, it feels good to be back and I hope I haven't disappointed you all! Let's begin...
I have already done a common beauty myths post before, but I keep hearing things from people and celebrities and quite frankly, I think some things need attention...like toothpaste and acne.

Beauty Myth #11 - "Preparation H Reduces Eye Puffiness"
Personally I have never heard of this one and I don't understand the logic behind it...But I've heard a lot of celebrities and websites saying it works. If you don't know what Preparation H is; it's for hemorrhoids. Unfortunately ladies, the greatest thing Preparation H can do for your eyes is making is make it dry and greasy. The maker of Preparation H, Whitehall-Robins Inc., has even mentioned that they no longer use live yeast cell in their product, which is what helps reduce eye puffiness. So, I would like to caution you readers about this technique.

Beauty Myth #12 - "Toothpaste Helps Treats Pimples"
I don't know about you guys, but when I first started getting pimples, my mom used to hand me a tube of toothpaste and tell me to dab a little bit on the pimple. It never worked for me, but I have heard of others getting results from this treatment. So, in a sense, toothpaste can help dry out pimples. HOWEVER. Toothpaste also dries out the skin. An ingredient in toothpaste, triclosan, kills bacteria which helps with pimples. But other ingredients in toothpaste can cause the skin to dry and become red and irritated. So, you may want to stay away from toothpaste because althought it dries out the pimple...it can make it look worse also.
Beauty Myth #13 - "Sunscreen Is Only Necessary For Sunny Days"
Every day we are exposed to UVA rays which can cause wrinkles. These rays occur equally every day despite the weather.  If you don't wear sunscreen, regardless of weather, you are more susceptible to age spots, wrinkles, and even skin cancer. So even if it's cloudy, be sure to protect your skin from UVA rays!

Beauty Myth #14 - "Don't Cross Your Legs! It Causes Spider Veins"
If you don't know what spider veins are, they are veins that are red or blue, branch out like a tree or a spider web, and can occur on the legs and other areas of the body. It is believed that when you cross your legs, you are putting too much pressure on the legs cause spider veins or even varicose veins to occur. This for one has not been proven. First off, vericose veins and spider veins occur mostly because of age, genetics, and pregnancy. Secondly, pressure helps decrease the volume in the veins. So, please. Cross your legs if necessary ladies!

Beauty Myth #15 - "Washing My Face Excessively Will Get Rid of My Acne Faster"
There is a healthy limit to washing your face. Unless you have legit dirt on your face, two to three times a day should be the max. Once in the morning and once at night before bed. When you wash your face excessively, you stripping your face of natural oils thus sending your skin into oil-production overload. So try to keep the face washing down to the maximum of twice per day.

Beauty Myth #16 - "If You Stress Too Much, Your Hair Will Fall Out"
I will admit, I thought this was true. Recently, I have been under so much stress and the one thing that I would always be scared about was losing excessive amounts of hair. But, luckily, this is not true and my fears are gone. On average, you lose about 50-100 strands of hair per day. If you think you're losing more than that, the likely culprit may be a nutrition deficiency.

Beauty Myth #17 - "Moisturizers Aren't Good For Oil-Prone Skin"
The only moisturizer that is not good for oil-prone skin is Vaseline. Otherwise, moisturizers can help decrease breakouts. Most moisturizers today are non-comedogenic, meaning they don't clog pores which can cause acne breakouts. Also, moisturizer prevents dry skin flakes from clogging your pores which can also cause acne breakouts. So, if you have oily skin like me, just make sure your moisturizer is non-comedogenic, and you will be fine if not better.
Beauty Myth #18 - "If You Have A Pimple, Pop It"
I have a problem with this and I am sure many of you do also. When we have a rather large pimple or blemish, we feel the need to pop it and we think that it will just BAM go away. That's not the case and for many of us, including myself, it does lead to some problems. When you pop a pimple, you are creating a wound. This wound is prone to infections and bacteria entering the skin. And like some wounds, it can cause scarring. There are other ways to take care of a zit or pimple, but be sure not to pop it and make it worse.

Beauty Myth #19 - "Cocoa Butter Is Amazing For Stretch Marks"
As someone who has stretch marks and has tried this method...I have a few statements. But I will hold back. As I said in my post regarding eczema, cocoa butter is great for moisturizing. I use it for my arms, while I use oatmeal lotion for my legs. However, cocoa butter is not proven to cure or get rid of stretch marks. In fact, no lotion or moisturizer is. Unfortunately, stretch marks are basically a natural and permanent thing for the most part.

Beauty Myth #20 - "If You Shave Your Hair, It'll Come Back Even Thicker"
In 6th grade, my P.E. teacher told me this after I shaved my arms for the first time. I have since stopped, and now that I look at my arms...the arm hair looks fine. When we shave our armpits or legs or whereever else, you take off the thin tip leaving the thicker middle. Once you give it time to grow back, it'll feel normal and thin. Be careful not to over-shave by the way. It causes ingrown hairs. Which hurt.

There you are everyone! 10 More Common Beauty Myths. I hope these were helpful! Once again, I am sorry for taking so long and I know I said I had big new for you all later on this year...but I just found out some more good news. WE'VE REACHED OVER 1000 PAGE VIEWS! I am so happy. You should've heard me when I told Anthony! I hope we reach many more and even more subscribers!!! I love you all and I am so thankful for you all taking the time out of your days to read TaylorRae.co. I hope you all have an amazing rest of the week!
Thanks for reading~! <3
With love,
Taylor Rae

P.S. Hey everyone! I want you all to meet Marlon Vincent!
He is a great friend of mine and Anthony's and has released a brand new mixtape, "Life After Death" and I would definitely appreciate it if you all could show him some love and support by downloading his mixtape, which includes the single above, "Rigamortis." You can download it HERE and while you're there, go ahead and go through his website. With that said, you can follow me and Marlon on Twitter @_MarlonVincent and @TaylorRae319. Thanks everyone for your support!

1 comment:

  1. They´re all very interesting! Though I disagree with the "hair falling out one".

    In my case, I have had hair fall out fron nutrition deficiency (like you said) when I was younger (I had to be forced to eat anything basically), but in the case of my cousin, who´s always eaten healthily and well but has a tendency to get nervous....when she had to study for an official government exam a few years ago, her hair really started falling out a lot more than "the usual" (though thankfully not in huge clumps or anything like that), and she was still eating the same as ever...we´re sure it was the stress. :O

    ReplyDelete